marquee



You will find a new useful lesson every week, keep coming back www.tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com

Confusing words



1- During vs while

During is always followed by a noun
While is always followed by a verb or ing-form  

Example:-

  • During the flight, I slept a lot.
  • While I was flying, I slept a lot.
  • During the movie, there was a lot of noise.
  • While watching the movie, there was a lot of noise. 




2- Bring Vs Take

To bring something toward the speaker
To take something away from the speaker

Example:-

  • Please, bring me a glass of water.
  • Teacher said, “Bring your essays to the class tomorrow”.
  • Please, don’t forget to take your book home with you.
  • Don’t forget to take your gloves with you. It’s really cold outside tonight.





3- Who, that and which

“Who” is used for people.
“That” can be used both for people or thing.
“Which” is used for things.

 Example:-

  • I know someone who can help you.
  • The house that she lives in is huge.
  • The clothes which he bought were quite expensive.





4- Before VS Ago

“Before” is always followed by something.
“Ago” that mean, how long it has been since something happen.

Examples:-

John moved to Canada 20 year ago (not: John moved to Canada 20 year before)
John moved to Canada 20 year before I did. (Before is always followed by something = I did)


5- 
 
Someone         -           Anyone           -           No one
Somebody       -           Anybody         -           Nobody
Something       -           Anything         -           Nothing
Somewhere     -           Anywhere       -           Nowhere



Note: - Someone and somebody both have a same meaning.
Note: - Anyone and anybody both have a same meaning.
Note: - No one and nobody both have a same meaning.



  • Someone is used for positive sentence.
  • Anyone is used negative and interrogative sentences.
  • No one is used for positive sentence.


Examples:


Positive sentences:-

I met someone/somebody at the party.
I need to eat something.
I want to go somewhere.



Negative sentences:-

I didn’t meet anyone/anybody at the party.
I don’t need to eat anything.
I don’t want to go anywhere.



Interrogative sentences
Did I meet anyone/anybody at the party?
Do I need to eat anything?
Do I want to go anywhere?




Positive sentence with no one, nothing etc.

There’s no one/nobody here.
There’s nothing in the box.
There’s nowhere to go.

Copyright © 2012 Tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com. Powered by Blogger.