marquee



You will find a new useful lesson every week, keep coming back www.tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com

State verbs




Verbs that describe state: conditions or situations, not actions.
We cannot use state verbs in continuous (progressive) tenses: there is no action to show!

State verbs describe:


Mental States


Realize
Understand
Recognize
Believe
Feel
Suppose
Need
Desire
Imagine
Doubt
Remember
Forget
Think
Want
Mean

Examples:-

This is a car I desire! (not ..I am desiring..).
 I recognize Olya  in the picture!(not I’m recognizing Olya).
 She understands some Spanish. (not She is understanding..)

Emotional states


Love
Like
Hate
Prefer
Fear
Envy
Appreciate
Mind
Care
Astonish
Amaze

Example:-

I love chocolate (not I am loving…)
I like the way you move!(not I am liking…)

Possessions


Possess
Own
Belong
Have

Examples:-
I have a teddy bear
I own it .
I possess a teddy bear.

Sense Perception


Taste
Smell
See
Hear

Example:-

Ratatouille tastes like childhood.

Other states

Be
Seem
Look
Appear
Cost
Sound
Resemble
Look like
Owe
Weigh
Equal
Exist
Matter
Consist of
Contain
Include

Examples:-

Two by tow equals four (not ..is equaling…)
These doughnuts cost $ 0.70 each (not ..are costing…)

 

Double meaning verbs or verbs which change meaning in continuous and simple forms



1- Think 


Stative: to heave an opinion

Example:-

I think (=have an opinion) this flower is very unusual!

Continuous: (often think of /about) to be in a process of considering things

Example:- 

He is thinking (= in the process of it).

2- Look/ appear

Stative:-  to have a particular appearance/seem

Example:

Nemo looks (=seems) sad.

Continuous: turn eyes towards smth, so that you can see it

Example:-

She is looking (= so she can see herself) in the mirror.

3- See


Stative: Notice someone or smth using your eyes.

Example sees (=with her eyes a plane in the sky.)

Continuous: Meet or visit someone by arrangement

I am seeing (=meet) my dentist at 17 on Wednesday.

4- Admire


Stative:To have a good opinion of smth/smb

Example:-

A lot of people admire (= have a good opinion of ) Mother Teresa.

Continuous: look at with appreciation

Example:-
The dog is admiring (=looking with appreciation) a sandwich.

5- Have

Stative: Own

Example Pinocchio has (= it belongs to him) a long nose.

Continuous: (in phrases)

Have breakfast,
Have coffee,
Have a good time, etc.

Example:-
He is having breakfast (= is eating).

6- Taste

Stative: Have a particular flavour

Example:-
Coffee tastes better (= has a better flavour) with a friend.

Continuous: Eat or drink smth and to experience its flavour

Example:-
She is tasting ( = is eating to experience flavour ) soup.


 

Copyright © 2012 Tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com. Powered by Blogger.