marquee



You will find a new useful lesson every week, keep coming back www.tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com

Use of “get”



 

Three easy ways to use get as a synonym.


“Get” is a very useful and popular word in English. It can be used as a synonym for: Get = achieve, acquire, bring, come, gain, obtain, pick up, arrive, reach, became, succeed, etc. etc. etc.

“Get” is also use in phrasal very. Some of them you know like: get up, get in, get out, get away, get along, get around, get through, get over, get down and etc. etc. etc.

So, all of that is a big confusing. Let’s look at three easy ways to use get as a synonym.

Three easy ways

  1. Get as “obtain”
  2. Get as “arrive”
  3. Get as “become”


1 -Get as “obtain”


We can use “get” instead of different words of obtain. Obtain = buy, arrive, win, steal, take, bring, find, collect, inherit, have and etc. etc, etc.

Example:-

I get (receive) a hundred e-mails yesterday.
Where did you get (buy) these shoes?

2 -Get as “arrive” 


“Get” is also used as a synonym for “arrive”.

Example:-

I get (arrive) home at 6:30.
Did you get (arrive) to the meeting on time?

 

3- Get as “become”


“Get” is usually used as a synonym of become. It is followed by an adjective (adjective can also be the past participle of verb) or a comparative adjective.

Note: - when “become” is followed by a noun or a superlative adjective, you cannot use “get” as a synonym. Example: - To become a teacher (not: to get a teacher).To become an issue (not: to get an issue).To become the best (not: to get the best).


Let’s have a look at the following examples:

It’s getting late.
My grandmother is getting old.
I got lost, because I didn’t have a map.
He got drunk at the party.
She’s getting married next month.
The children are getting tried.

Using get will make your English sound better

Normally, your teacher tries to expand your vocabulary to improve your English, but in the case of get using just that one word can make your English sound better. Native speaker attend to prefer “get”. So using “get” as often as, you get an opportunity can make your English get better.

Read to this, I’m going to describe my daily routine for you and I going to use “get” as often as I can.

Daily Routine (with get)


I get up at 7 o’clock. I get breakfast. I usually get coffee for break fast. Sometimes I get cereal, and sometimes I get food. After eating breakfast, I get going, I drive to work. I get to work at 8 o’clock. The first thing I do when I get to work. I say, hello to other employee, and then I get my e-mails. I normally get about 12 e-mails a day that I need to reply to, and there I get another 20 that I don’t need to reply to. I work hard until 11o’clock, when I get a coffee break.

Did you see?

Using get more often will make your English sound much better. It’s an easy way to make people think your English is very good.   
Copyright © 2012 Tensespresentsimple.blogspot.com. Powered by Blogger.